Wednesday, March 10, 2010

inspiration,or why I love Portland

I had some extra time this morning on my way downtown for a massage, so I decided to stop by Anthropologie, probably my favorite store in Portland for artistic inspiration. The window displays are always creative and exciting, often using recycled materials in a clever way. Today they did not disappoint. The theme was SPRING, with hundreds of flowers made from spray painted plastic bottles.
These were such cheerful spring pastels that I was bubbling with ideas for making my own immediately. Then I went inside and they were working on new installations in the store as well. I chatted with the creative staff, and said that I wanted to be a display maker at Anthropologie when I grow up.
Out on the street I spotted a truck just passing by, hauling a trailer with this familiar gal. I couldn't believe my luck when he pulled into a nearly garage. Usually when you see something like this, the moment passes, or you don't have a camera. I asked if I could take a photo and he laughed and said "You wouldn't believe how many people have asked me that today".
Anyone who has lived in Portland for any length of time will recognize the Jantzen swimwear girl. She is about as famous as the white stag, one of Portland's iconic figures. I learned that she will be in a museum exhibit, then taken to a mural that will be created in Vancouver, where we all can enjoy her again. I had so much fun that I missed my massage appointment, but I hardly minded. This is why I love Portland.

5 comments:

  1. I have that same photo from Anthropologie and went home and dug up plastic bottles too. Then I thought, do I really want to spend the time cutting all these things? Probably not. They are very clever though. Love the swim girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take your plastic bottles! I only had two of them...I have an idea for how to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny, I also go to Antropologie to get a creative fix, the clothes are nice, but I stick to the displays, I love that Jantzen beach girl photo!
    steph b

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart skipped a beat there for a moment...I thought you were going to say that the Jantzen mannequin was on its way to a disposal site and you got to rescue her. Oh well! Love the flowers, too. Your photos were worth the missed massage. I've never been to Anthropology, can you believe that? Must. get. out. more.
    lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recognized the Jantzen swimsuit model and wondered where she was going. I'm sure your plastic bottle flowers will be really neat.

    ReplyDelete