Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Summer journaling

While we had an out of town guest, we drove up to Multnomah Falls for the day, a typical place to show visitors. While Jim and Antoine walked up to the bridge, I took some time to do this sketch, which for me, was not my forte, but I was inspired to try my hand at architecture, after being around the Urban Sketchers.
Mmm. Red velvet cupcakes and homemade lemonade were on offer at the Barn House flea market in July. What a great combination! Glad we bought ours early, as they sold out quickly.
We know the end of Summer is near when we spend a week at one of our favorite places on earth, Mercer Lake, near Florence Oregon. We have been coming here for nearly 30 years and the friends we see here are like family to us. This year the weather was more perfect than usual, which made it hard to leave. I can think of no more restful or relaxing place to spend a summer day.
I made a point of doing some "summertime" things in July, like going to a concert , Apple Jam, at the rose garden at Washington Park. They played early Beatle's songs, many that they never recorded themselves, including this song from The Music Man, "There Were Bells on the Hills". It was kind of corny for a Beatles song, but perfect for the setting among the roses...Later we went to movies in the park and saw The Music Man on a hot Summer evening. It couldn't have been better!
This wasn't one of my favorite journal pages, but it does show some of the vibrant flowers that I had on the back deck as we ate as many meals as we could outside.
Well, we're off again, as I mentioned before, to a hot spot in the desert. Stay tuned for some interesting blog posts!

4 comments:

  1. You did a fine job with your architecture and captured the falls really well too! I was thinking about doing a similar end-of-summer post--must be the rain. I will definitely be looking forward to that next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "There were bells on the hill, but I never heard them ringing, no I never heard them at all 'til there was you". That one? I didn't know it was from The Music Man! But do remember the Beatles version.
    Your sketch of the bridge is awesome--a familiar site rendered nicely, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, thanks for your encouraging comments about my attempt at rendering a bit of architecture. It does take me more time to do that passably well, but it is good to slooow down sometimes and really look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Cynthia I love your bridge I would buy that one your style is wonderful!And I really can't wait to see what is to come to your blog in the near future.

    ReplyDelete